About a week ago, I had the opportunity to spend a few hours observing the wonderful learners at Avery in action! Here are a few examples of what I witnessed:
- Children engaged in an exploration of colors and patterns on a SMARTboard.
- Adults in numerous classrooms and learning spaces intentionally placing themselves at eye level with children (many on the floor!) as they played a game, collaborated on a piece of writing, etc.
- A teacher facilitating a beautiful discussion with her children in which they contributed ideas for how they might redesign or contribute to their classroom in a way that supports their development as readers and writers.
- Children laughing and having fun as they played a game in physical education which supported their development with gross motor skills and elevated their heart rates at the same time.
- Children playing a game on an iPad that required them to demonstrate their understanding of angles.
- Children working in learning spaces designed just for them!
Also, a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to watch Evelyn Linck, Mia Willis, and Sam Miller, along with Dr. Arnold, share about Avery's Leader in Me program with superintendents and school board members from around the state. The children rightfully received numerous comments for not just their speaking skills, but their poise and courteous demeanors. They truly were the highlight of the conference for many attending including myself!
Enjoy the clips and photos below, as they serve as a small but powerful sampling of the wonderful learners at Avery!
Each child, Each day...John